Sunday, September 23, 2012

Immanuel Kant

This weeks reading on Immanuel Kant's theories were very interesting. What I found most interesting about Kant's theory was that it was a mix of rationalism and empiricism. I found that I was able to understand his theory a bit better and even agree with knowledge being composed of reason as well as experience rather than each itself. I also enjoyed the bit about God. Kant said that although we can't have rational knowledge of God, he found a way to deny knowledge of him in order to make room for faith. I feel like this is something that many religious people seem to do for their faith in their God and religion.

One other bit of the reading that I really enjoyed was John Locke on the possibility of knowledge. The example that caught my attention most was when Lawhead explains how Locke believed that the mind could not create new simple ideas if the idea had not been experienced before. "A dictionary will define yellow as the color of a ripe lemon". This part intrigued me so much because I tried to think of a way to describe the color yellow without referring to any past elements or experiences and I could not think of anything!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you found a lot to agree with in Kant's thinking.

    ReplyDelete