Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Individual and the state


Classical liberals like Mill usually argue that so long as you aren't being coerced or forced to do something by the state, then you are free. People sympathetic to Marx are likely to argue that freedom requires that we are protected from forms of coercion that stem from economic disparities, and that this perhaps requires some kind of active state intervention to make sure that we are free to make our own economic choices.
What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with Mill or Marx? Or perhaps a little with  both?

I think that I agree with Mill that you are free as long as you aren't being coerced or forced to do something by the state, but I also agree a bit with Marx's argument that freedom requires that we're protected from forms of coercion that stem from economic disparities. For example, Mill believes that people should be able to have the right to choose the act of prostitution. I agree with Mill when it comes down to this because I think that it should be okay for people to be involved in it if that is what they wish. It would also create a regulated and safe environment for these workers, however I agree with Marx because people who are involved with prostitution are not aways there by choice. This is where their freedom is being taken away and some kind of active intervention would protect them so that they can make their own choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment